All praise and thanks be to Allah Who blessed man with soul and body. May prayers and salutations be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) who taught us the right way to live. It is beyond doubt that humans experience various physical illnesses. However, not every illness a person experiences is physical. People face various psychological illnesses as well as physical illnesses. In addition to that, spiritual (such as: Jinn possession, magic, evil eye…) illnesses too. A person’s heart and brain are effected in many ways by having to experience numerous complications. Sadness, sorrow, fear, satisfaction and happiness are emotions or situations a person goes through psychologically. Different situations which a person faces, causes diverse psychological emotions. For instance, a person experiences happiness and grief, fear, suspicion and delusions. The fact of the matter, as supported by psychology, is that ongoing anxiety does indeed cause real physical illness, so the pain becomes a physical reality, not just tension. Such as stomach ulcers, angina and other problems, which changes a person’s life and causes him to lose ambition and neglect his work; it also causes disruption in his marital life and he becomes a prisoner to delusion and fear. Finally, in this article I will briefly emphasize on the main psychological diseases and it’s treatment using Ruqya.
Some psychological diseases:
1- Delusion: The disease of delusion is a vicious circle. It is one of the most serious kinds of disease. No person is free of delusions that sometimes come to him, and sometimes life is delusion upon delusion, to such an extent that the delusions have a greater influence on the person than does reality. Most of the time, delusion is caused due to devils. In fact, some people may imagine that they have been bewitched or that so-and-so has put a spell on them because of some problem between them, so their thinking becomes confused and their lives become chaotic, and they tell themselves that they have been bewitched. Nevertheless, delusion is when suspicions and doubts enter one’s heart and mind. Moreover his suffering effects the whole body. The sick person feels pain in the area of the heart, anxiety accompanied by fear and doubts starts to take over his life.
2- Epilepsy: Epilepsy contains seizures. Doctors have not been able to give a comprehensive and definitive definition of epilepsy, because of the numerous clinical manifestations of epilepsy, including convulsions. Doctors use the phrase “epileptic seizure” to describe the sudden attack that happens to a patient, characterized by tension and shaking, accompanied by loss of consciousness. Doctors divide epileptic seizures into two types, grand mal and petit mal. Grand mal seizures are accompanied by a loss of consciousness, whereas petit mal seizures may occur in the early stages and may not be noticed by the patient or by those around him. One of the factors which causes epilepsy is that it may be caused by jinn possession. The other factor is epilepsy due to medical or psychological causes. Modern studies have proven that electronic games play a major role in causing epilepsy in many children. Medical reports prove that some children have brains that are sensitive to the flickering lights emanating from electronic games.
3- Depression: Depression refers to intense sadness. In my opinion, depression is mainly caused due to being weak in one’s faith because the devil plays a huge role in causing sadness, grief and depression. Allah says in the Quran:
“Secret counsels (conspiracies) are only from shaytaan (Satan), in order that he may cause grief to the believers.” (Al-Mujaadilah 58:10)
In addition to that, trust and certainty in Allah diminishes during difficult and depressing situations. As a result, the person spends his life being hopeless, counting days in grief and sorrow. However in every situation like this, the believer with strong faith is in constant remembrance of Allah, endurance, have hope in Allah and by supplicating to Allah he finds success. The believer defeats his own soul and dispels the whispers of the devil. He believes that Allah does not burden a soul more than it can bear and that there is always ease after hardship. These are mentioned in the Quran. When he believes in it from his heart and remembers it during his hard times, he will be uplifted. So the believer is far from suffering depression. Depression is caused due to one’s internal and external reasons. External causes are, factors that are outside a person, such as life events like losing a loved one, or losing money or social standing. Internal causes are due to a person’s physical make-up, such as brain cells, a lack of thyroid hormones or a lack of certain vitamins.
4- Anxiety: Anxiety is a type of psychological illness that is characterized by tension, fear and dread, whether that is related to specific matters or is unclear. Anxiety is something people go through when faced with certain circumstances, but people vary with regard to how well protected they are psychologically and in the degree of individual potential and feelings of anxiety. The circumstances and events surrounding each individual also vary. Anxiety can be caused due to apprehensiveness and expecting the worst with regard to things, specific or otherwise. Moreover conflict between one’s inclinations and restrictions that prevent him from fulfilling those inclinations are also causes of anxiety.
These are commonly the most highlighted psychological illnesses. There are many other psychology related illnesses. Because psychology is a separate topic and each psychological illness can only be explained separately due to the vastness of the topic, I have included the most significant information in the article. For such illnesses it is recommended that a person be guided by a psychologist. Not only use Ruqya and supplications, but also some psychological illnesses or situations must be treated with the help of a psychologist, psychiatric or a counsellor. In this case, it is very important that the person gets help from them. Moreover if the person is looking for counselling, he should prefer a good Islamic counsellor since counselling means thoughts which are fed to one’s mind. Or it could even mean that it is a source which is used to clear the doubts in one’s mind. Thus, after removing one’s confusion and doubts, the person should rearrange their thoughts afresh within the Islamic frame. Another point I want to focus here is that in the Quran itself there are many verses which helps a person as a counsel and it brings tranquillity to the heart. Reflect and ponder upon the translation and meanings of the Quranic verses so that one’s mind is clear and the person will be getting the best counselling. However, a person with psychological illnesses or not, one should seek the help of a religious scholar to fully understand the meanings of the Quran and not derive its meaning as one desires. Otherwise the person might reach to a level where doubts and confusions are created in his mind and not having its knowledge is better for him. Hence it is much worse to know something falsely, than to know nothing.
Mentioned below are few ways a person can act upon during situations of psychological illnesses, times of grief and sorrow and as a prevention from psychological illnesses.
1. Making ablution: It makes the person feel fresh. Moreover it is instructed in Islam that when a person gets angry (anger is a psychological attack to a person from the devil. The Prophet (peace be upon him) have mentioned that anger is from the devil), one should seek refuge with Allah from the devil, make ablution and perform prayers.
2. Performing salah (Prayer)
3. Making Zikr (remembrance of Allah)
4. Reciting the Quran
5. Share your disturbing thoughts which were stuck in your mind for a long time to a trusted person. Ask Allah for a solution to your problems during prayers and when making supplications.
6. Gaze on the serene nature, visit places which are peaceful and comforting, thank Allah for the beauty of those places and remember Allah and how Perfect Allah is.
7. Strengthening one’s belief: Attaining the knowledge of tawheed very well.
8. Putting one’s trust in Allah in a real sense and being grateful to Him in every situation.
9. Patience: Believing that for every difficult situation, Allah Will bring something better and no matter how burdensome the situation is, believe that it is a test from Allah.
10. Think positively: Always think positively for every situation. Positive thinking makes you hopeful in difficult moments. By thinking well of Allah you will see the good in it.
11. Entertainment and enjoying yourself: Prayer gives many useful exercises to one’s body. Moreover, the person can do other useful exercises, without interrupting the prayers and within the Islamic limits, enjoying different sports and being sociable keeps the person mentally and physically healthy.
12. Shape your lifestyle according to Islamic fundamentals
13. Abstain from sins and increase your good deeds
14. During difficult moments, ask Allah, have patience and make use of the supplications and prayers mentioned to recite in these situations. Be a person of strong Iman (faith). Du’aa’s to say during times of grief and distress:
1- اللّهُمَّ إِنِّي عَبْدُكَ ابْنُ عَبْدِكَ ابْنُ أَمَتِكَ نَاصِيَتِي بِيَدِكَ، مَاضٍ فِيَّ حُكْمُكَ، عَدْلٌ فِيَّ قَضَاؤكَ أَسْأَلُكَ بِكُلِّ اسْمٍ هُوَ لَكَ سَمَّيْتَ بِهِ نَفْسَكَ أِوْ أَنْزَلْتَهُ فِي كِتَابِكَ، أَوْ عَلَّمْتَهُ أَحَداً مِنْ خَلْقِكَ أَوِ اسْتَأْثَرْتَ بِهِ فِي عِلْمِ الغَيْبِ عِنْدَكَ أَنْ تَجْعَلَ القُرْآنَ رَبِيعَ قَلْبِي، وَنورَ صَدْرِي وجَلَاءَ حُزْنِي وذَهَابَ هَمِّي(O Allah, I am Your slave, son of Your slave, son of Your female slave, my forelock is in Your hand, Your command over me is forever executed and Your decree over is just. I ask You by every name belonging to You which You named Yourself with, or revealed in Your Book, or You taught to any of Your creation, or You have preserved in the knowledge of the unseen with You, that You make the Quran the life of my heart and the light of my breast, and a departure of my sorrow and a release for my anxiety).”
15- Treating with Ruqya: Quran is a cure for the hearts and other illnesses. And it’s a guidance too. If you hold on to it, all your matters will become easy. Scholars say that, it is proven that Ruqya is the best treatment for psychological illnesses than chemical medications. Moreover, medications used for psychological illnesses can make a person hallucinate due to its powerful chemicals. It is much better to use prophetic medications and Ruqya for treating psychological illnesses rather than taking these drugs which consist of harmful chemicals. Prophetic medicines and Ruqya will not harm a person like the chemical drugs do. Ibn al-Qayyim (May Allah have mercy on him) and Ibn Uthaimeen states that it is more desirable to treat anxiety and other psychological illnesses using Ruqya. Reciting many Quranic chapters, reciting supplications as mentioned above and many other permissible Ruqya can be practiced. Thus, I will mention an effective and corresponding Ruqya which can be used for every type of psychological difficulty or illness. In addition to that, it can also be used for treating sorcery and mental illnesses.
1. Recite this Ruqya everyday on your own and listen to the audio of this Ruqya often. One can listen or recite this Ruqya once, or more than that.
2. Reciting to water and drinking it: Recite this Ruqya to water. It is recommended to use either Zamzam water or rain water. Consume this water at least twice a day; once in the morning and once before bed time. Drinking this water more than this or at different times is acceptable.
3. Reciting to water and performing ablution with it: Recite this Ruqya and blow to water (approximately 5 litres of water will be enough) which is sufficient to touch every part of the body. Pour the water starting from one’s head until it touches every part of the body. It is acceptable if one uses this water before drying after taking a regular bath.
4. Reciting to olive oil and smearing it on the body: Recite this Ruqya and blow to olive oil at least twice a day, smearing it on the body. It is encouraged to smear it during the day and at night.
5. Reciting to honey and consuming it: Recite this Ruqya to honey and blow in it. It is recommended to use honey mixed with black seed. Use this honey one teaspoon in an empty stomach in the morning and one teaspoon at night.
6. Reciting to black seed oil and consuming it: Recite this Ruqya to black seed oil and blow to it and every night consume 1 teaspoon before bed time.
7. Continue all these things as a treatment. Moreover one can continue this Ruqya until he is cured. There is no fixed duration to use this Ruqya.
8. It is not a must to recite some verses in this Ruqya to the exact number of times. One can recite this more than that, or if it’s difficult, less than that. Included in this article is the most acceptable amount.
9. Inquiring about the explanations and meanings of the Quranic verses in this Ruqya to Islamic scholars is a significant thing to do. Consequently, it is ensured that one will receive great advice and counselling.
Ruqya Audio (Download)
File Size 56.7 MB
Download Count 2,237